Bus Stop Safety


Please read the note below from Mt. Bethel Elementary bus driver John McMahon about protecting the safety of our children at bus stops.



Hello Parents,

I would like to take the opportunity to share my concerns with bus safety in the neighborhoods.

In the national news this past week there have been several tragic bus accidents resulting deaths and injuries. This is my second year driving a school bus. There isn't a day that I drive that there is at least one unsafe situation that I come upon. I have had quite a few scares as well as near misses. Unfortunately for us, commuters today seem to think that buses are only in the way and have very little regard for the safe loading and unloading of students. 

I cannot speak for the rest of the world but I can tell you that just this morning I had three incidents on the elementary run. At the first stop across from Camden Place Pool. It was dark, raining, and I had the yellow lights on indicating my coming to a stop. One of your neighbors decided that he didn't need to stop and blew right by us. 

In Lake Colony, I had a car chase the bus because they were late. I did not see this child until she appeared in the doorway as I was ready to shut the door and pull away. 

Lake Ford, no one was standing at the stop. Once I stopped the bus, the children got out of the cars and ran down the hill at the bus. I had headlights shining in my eyes. It was not possible for me to see how many kids were trying to board the bus. I was actually hesitant to pull out because there are typically more kids at this stop than this morning. I realize that it was raining, however please understand the rain reduces my visibility as well.

These three were just this morning. I approach everyday and every stop with extreme care for the children's safety and transport. I am asking that the parents help me to accomplish this. The reason that you are asked to be at the stop 5 minutes prior to arrival is not to inconvenience you but to insure that the kids are at the stop, safely lined up and ready for the buses arrival so that we can accomplish safe loading while keeping the kids out of the danger zone. If I cannot see them from the curb to their seat, I do not know they are there.

As far as your neighbors ignoring the yellow and red lights, jamming the intersections so there is no room for the bus to maneuver, I cannot do anything about that, perhaps you could mention it to your neighbors via HOA newsletters or websites.

I have included a few helpful brochures from the Georgia Department of Education website as well as the link.

I apologize in advance if you think this was to forward or too panicky but I happen to take your children's safety seriously. Thank you for your assistance. 

Best regards,

John McMahon
Mount Bethel